Thursday, May 19, 2011

Runner's High

Running two half marathons, I have experienced the "Runner's High" both times. But rarely do I get the pleasure of reaching that point in a training run. I'm not sure why, maybe there's too much on my mind and no one else around me... but yesterday I was attempting to run 7 miles... (attempting because I didn't get that far) but around .5miles my brain was working against me. I had to fit the urge to stop and go back... I kept hearing a voice say "If a half mile is this hard, you can't possibly do a mile let alone seven." I hate that voice... that voice likes to dominate my thoughts.. "you can't do it, stop trying" but yesterday I said, NO NO NO... i have run 13 miles before, this isn't as hard as I'm pretending it is... and I kept going... around 1.5miles I felt it... that moment when you feel like you've reached the pinnacle and the rest is downhill (even though it's up and down on the trail) ... I started to feel STRONGER! And more comfortable... the parts that hurt at 1/4mile started to loosen up... and while I only did a total of 4.4miles... it was probably my best training run in a very long time...

Lesson learned: NEVER GIVE UP AT THE START OF THE RACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment