Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Back on the trail

Yesterday, I stopped by my local "Fancy Gap Outfitters" to try on some vibrams so find out my size.... so I could order them for 35% off online... the sales woman was VERY good at her job, had me trying on a bunch of minimalist shoes... gave me a free book on Barefoot Running... so I put both shoes on hold... left the store... regained my sanity... came home, ordered my vibrams for $50 online... and sat contemplating what to do about those amazing NB minimalists waiting for me in Mt. Airy... they felt so good... like love for my foot... like my feet had met their sole mates.... it was beautiful, I think I heard birds singing and saw fireworks (or I heard Katy Perry singing "firework").... so what to do?? Do I invest $100 in a pair of running shoes, to cross train (if you will) with my new fivefingers, or do I realize that I am out of contacts and it will likely cost double the amount of those PERFECTO shoes to get new ones (considering I need to have an eye exam to get those nifty eye ball fixers)? Oh the dilemmas of a baby runner....

also... there are people starving around the world... and I'm considering spending $100 on yet ANOTHER pair of shoes... shoes that will allow me to feel like i'm running barefoot... Am I insane?

---
In other news... I ran 2 miles on the track today... it felt good... I'll probably keep those 2 miles up every other day or so to get ready for the 5k in May... and then focus on Philly... :-)

1 comment:

  1. A few things...

    As a runner, shoes are ALWAYS worth the investment. Better to have quality footwear that fits well than an injury that costs time and perhaps money. You should replace your shoes around 300-400 miles so if you are due for new kicks, you shouldn't feel guilty about it. Also, you need to ease into barefoot running, so additional running sneaks isn't really splurging.

    And you give your time and money to charity and you are raising money for cancer during your training for Philly, don't feel guilty about spending money on yourself especially when you aren't being frivolous!

    Also, I think you heard Katy Perry, because that was the DC anthem :).

    ReplyDelete